Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal is a popular South Indian breakfast dish made with rice, lentils, and spices. It is a comforting and hearty dish that’s easy to make and is perfect for a lazy weekend morning or a quick weekday breakfast.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Here’s how to make Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal:
1. Dry Roasting the Rice and Lentils
Dry roast the rice and moong dal in a pan over medium heat until they turn slightly golden and emit a nutty aroma. Be careful not to burn them.
2. Cooking the Rice and Lentils
Add water to the rice and lentils and pressure cook them until they are soft and mushy.
3. Tempering the Pongal
In a separate pan, heat ghee over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, black pepper, ginger, green chilies, cashews, and curry leaves. Fry until the cashews are golden brown and the spices are fragrant.
Pour the tempering over the cooked rice and lentils and mix well.
Add salt to taste and stir again.
Your delicious Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal is now ready to serve!
Tips and Tricks for Making Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal
- Use good quality rice and lentils for the best results.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste by adding more or fewer green chilies.
- You can also add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) to the tempering for an extra burst of flavor.
- Use freshly chopped ginger for the best flavor.
- For a creamier texture, you can add a tablespoon of ghee to the cooked pongal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use different types of lentils in Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal?
While moong dal is the traditional lentil used in this dish, you can also use other types of lentils such as split urad dal or chana dal.
- Can I make Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal without a pressure cooker?
Yes, you can cook the rice and lentils in a regular pot on the stove. However, it will take longer to cook and may require more water.
- Can I make Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the rice and lentils ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. When ready to serve, simply reheat the pongal in a pan and add the tempering.
- Can I make Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal vegan?
Yes, you can use coconut oil instead of ghee to make this dish vegan.
- Is Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal gluten-free?
Yes, this dish is gluten-free as it is made with rice and lentils.
Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal is a delicious and comforting South Indian breakfast dish that’s easy to make and is perfect for any time of day. It is a filling and nutritious dish that’s sure to satisfy your hunger and leave you feeling satisfied.
With its fragrant spices, crunchy cashews, and soft, fluffy rice and lentils, Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal is a dish that’s sure to become a favorite in your household. And the best part is, it’s easy to customize to your liking by adjusting the spice level or adding your own favorite ingredients.
So why not give this comforting and delicious dish a try? Whether you’re a seasoned South Indian food lover or a newcomer to the cuisine, you’re sure to love the comforting and flavorful taste of Ven Pongal/Khara Pongal.