If you’re a fan of Indian street food, you must have heard of dahi puri – a popular dish that originates from Mumbai. Dahi puri is a delightful blend of sweet, sour, and spicy flavors, which makes it a favorite of foodies all around the world. In this article, we’ll show you how to make delicious dahi puri at home with simple ingredients that are easily available.
What is Dahi Puri?
Dahi puri is a popular street food snack in India that consists of crispy hollow puris filled with a mixture of mashed potatoes, chutneys, and spices, and topped with creamy yogurt and sev (thin noodles made from chickpea flour). The dish is usually served with a drizzle of tamarind chutney and mint chutney, which adds an extra layer of flavor to it.
Ingredients Required to Make Dahi Puri
To make dahi puri at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 24-30 puris
- 2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup boiled sprouts
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sweet tamarind chutney
- 1/2 cup green coriander chutney
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup sev
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Step-by-Step Recipe to Make Dahi Puri
Making the Puris
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry the puris until they turn golden brown.
- Drain them on a tissue paper to remove excess oil.
Preparing the Filling
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, boiled sprouts, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add a spoonful of this mixture into each puri.
Assembling the Dahi Puri
- Place the stuffed puris on a serving plate.
- Pour sweet tamarind chutney and green coriander chutney on top of each puri.
- Add a dollop of yogurt on top of each puri.
- Sprinkle some sev and fresh coriander leaves on top of the puris.
Tips to Make Perfect Dahi Puri at Home
- Ensure that the puris are crispy and hollow.
- Use fresh and good quality ingredients for the filling.
- You can adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Don’t add too much yogurt, or the puris will become soggy.
- You can make the chutneys and the filling in advance to save time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Is dahi puri healthy? A. Dahi puri is a snack and should be consumed in moderation. However, the ingredients used in dahi puri, such as potatoes, sprouts and yogurt, have nutritional value and can provide some health benefits.
Q. Can I use store-bought puris to make dahi puri? A. Yes, you can use store-bought puris to make dahi puri. However, homemade puris taste better and are more authentic.
Q. Can I use different fillings for dahi puri? A. Yes, you can experiment with different fillings for dahi puri. Some popular options include chickpeas, boiled moong dal, and paneer.
Q. Can I make dahi puri in advance? A. You can prepare the fillings and the chutneys in advance. However, it is best to assemble the puris just before serving to ensure they are crispy.
Q. How long does dahi puri last? A. Dahi puri tastes best when consumed immediately. However, you can store the fillings and the chutneys separately in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Dahi puri is a delicious and popular street food snack in India that you can easily make at home. With simple ingredients and a few easy steps, you can recreate this delightful dish in your own kitchen. Remember to use fresh and good quality ingredients, and adjust the spices according to your taste. Happy cooking!