Onion pakoda is one of the most popular Indian tea-time snacks that is loved by people of all ages. These crispy and flavorful fritters are made by mixing sliced onions with a batter made of chickpea flour and spices, then deep-fried until golden brown. Onion pakodas are easy to make and require only a few ingredients that are readily available in most households. In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make onion pakodas at home that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Onion pakodas are a popular Indian snack that originated in the northern part of the country. They are a perfect accompaniment to a cup of hot tea on a rainy day or a cold winter evening. Onion pakodas are also a popular street food in India, and you can find them at almost every corner tea stall. This dish is loved by everyone for its crispy texture and spicy flavor.
Ingredients required for Onion Pakoda Recipe
To make onion pakodas, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of sliced onions
- 1 cup of chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of water
- Oil for deep frying
Step-by-Step Instructions to make Onion Pakodas
Follow these simple steps to make crispy and delicious onion pakodas:
Step 1: Preparing the Onions
- Peel and slice the onions into thin strips.
- Separate the onion slices using your fingers.
Step 2: Making the Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chickpea flour, rice flour, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, and baking soda.
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Add water and mix well to make a smooth batter.
- The batter should be thick enough to coat the onions.
Step 3: Frying the Pakodas
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, take a small portion of the onion slices and coat them with the batter.
- Drop the coated onion slices into the hot oil and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the fried onion pakodas from the oil and place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
Step 4: Serving the Pakodas
- Serve hot onion pakodas with mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or tomato ketchup.
Tips for making Perfect Onion Pakodas
- The batter should be thick enough to coat the onions. If the batter is too thin, the pakodas will be soggy, and if the batter is too thick, the pakodas will be hard.
- Use rice flour to make the pakodas crispy.
- Adding a pinch of baking soda to the batter will make the pakodas fluffy.
- Fry the pakodas in hot oil to make them crispy.
Onion pakodas are best served hot with mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or
tomato ketchup. You can also serve them with a hot cup of tea or coffee. Onion pakodas make a great snack for parties or get-togethers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I slice the onions thinly?
Ans. To slice the onions thinly, cut off the top and bottom of the onion and cut it in half. Peel the skin off and then slice the onion lengthwise into thin strips.
- Can I use other vegetables to make pakodas?
Ans. Yes, you can use other vegetables like potato, cauliflower, spinach, or eggplant to make pakodas.
- Can I use all-purpose flour instead of chickpea flour?
Ans. No, chickpea flour (besan) is the main ingredient in this recipe, and substituting it with all-purpose flour will change the taste and texture of the pakodas.
- How long do onion pakodas stay fresh?
Ans. Onion pakodas can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Can I make onion pakodas ahead of time?
Ans. Yes, you can make the batter ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 2 days. However, it is recommended to fry the pakodas just before serving to ensure that they are crispy.
Onion pakodas are a classic Indian snack that is loved by everyone. They are easy to make and require only a few ingredients that are readily available in most households. In this article, we provided you with a step-by-step guide on how to make crispy and delicious onion pakodas at home. We also shared some tips and serving suggestions to help you make the perfect onion pakodas. So, next time you crave a hot and spicy snack, try making onion pakodas at home and enjoy them with your favorite dip.