Coconut chutney is a popular condiment in South Indian cuisine that is often served as a side dish with dosa, idli, vada, or uttapam. This creamy and flavorful chutney is made from fresh coconut, chilies, ginger, and tempered with spices. It’s easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. In this article, we’ll show you how to make delicious and flavorful coconut chutney at home.
Coconut chutney is a staple in South Indian cuisine and is often served with breakfast dishes like dosa, idli, and vada. This delicious and creamy condiment is made from freshly grated coconut, chilies, ginger, and tempered with spices. It’s a great way to add some extra flavor to your meal and is easy to make at home.
To make coconut chutney, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted chana dal
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1-2 dried red chilies
- A few curry leaves
- Blender or mixer
- Pan for tempering
How to Make Coconut Chutney
1. Preparing the Coconut
Start by grating the coconut using a grater or food processor. If using frozen coconut, thaw it first. You can also use desiccated coconut if fresh coconut is not available.
2. Preparing the Chutney
- In a blender or mixer, add the grated coconut, chopped green chilies, chopped ginger, roasted chana dal, salt, and water.
- Blend everything together until you get a smooth and creamy texture. If the chutney is too thick, you can add more water to thin it out.
3. Tempering the Chutney
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the urad dal and sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add the dried red chilies and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the coconut chutney and mix well.
Your delicious and flavorful coconut chutney is ready to serve!
Tips for Making Perfect Coconut Chutney
- Use fresh coconut for the best flavor.
- Adjust the amount of green chilies according to your spice level.
- Roast the chana dal until it turns golden brown for a nutty flavor.
- Don’t skip the tempering, as it adds an extra layer of flavor to the chutney.
- If the chutney is too thick, you can add more water to thin it out.
Coconut chutney is often served with South Indian breakfast dishes like dosa, idli, and vada. It can also be served as a side dish with rice, roti, or as a dipping sauce for snacks like samosas, pakoras, or bhajias. You can also use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps for an extra burst of flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does coconut chutney last in the refrigerator?
- Coconut chutney can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Can I freeze coconut chutney?
- Yes, you can freeze coconut chutney in an airtight container for up to a month. Thaw it before use and mix well before serving.
- Can I use dry coconut instead of fresh coconut?
- Yes, you can use desiccated coconut or dry coconut flakes instead of fresh coconut. Soak them in warm water for 15-20 minutes before blending.
- Can I skip the tempering step?
- The tempering step adds an extra layer of flavor to the chutney, but you can skip it if you prefer.
- How can I make the chutney spicier?
- You can add more green chilies or a pinch of red chili powder to make the chutney spicier.
Coconut chutney is a delicious and flavorful condiment that is easy to make at home. With just a few ingredients and some simple steps, you can make this South Indian favorite in no time. Whether you’re serving it with breakfast dishes or using it as a dip for snacks, coconut chutney is sure to add some extra flavor to your meal.
Special Lifetime Offer
Thank you for reading this article on how to make delicious and flavorful coconut chutney. We hope you found it helpful and informative. As a special offer for our readers, we are offering a lifetime discount on our library of recipes. Click the link below to take advantage of this offer today.