Are you a fan of Indian cuisine? If yes, then you must have heard about the Tandoori Chicken. It is a popular dish that has been enjoyed by people all around the world. Tandoori Chicken is a dish that is made by marinating the chicken in a mixture of spices and yoghurt, which is then grilled in a tandoor, a traditional clay oven. The result is a delicious, juicy and flavourful chicken that will leave you wanting more.
In this article, we will take you through the process of making Tandoori Chicken at home. We will go over the ingredients needed, the step-by-step instructions, and some tips to make the perfect Tandoori Chicken. So, let’s get started.
Tandoori Chicken is a popular dish in Indian cuisine. It is a dish that is made by marinating the chicken in a mixture of spices and yoghurt, which is then grilled in a tandoor, a traditional clay oven. The result is a delicious, juicy and flavourful chicken that will leave you wanting more.
To make Tandoori Chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tablespoon of mustard oil
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for garnishing
3. Marination Process
The marination process is the most crucial step in making Tandoori Chicken. It is what gives the chicken its flavour and tenderness. Follow these steps to marinate the chicken:
- Wash the chicken pieces and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix together yoghurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, kasuri methi, mustard oil, and salt to taste.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and mix well, making sure that each piece is coated with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. Preparing the Tandoori Chicken
Once the chicken has marinated, it is time to prepare it for grilling. Follow these steps to prepare the Tandoori Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
- Skewer the chicken pieces and place them on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
- Brush the chicken with some oil and grill it in the oven for 25-30 minutes, turning the skewers occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and slightly charred.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve hot.
5. Tips to Make the Perfect Tandoori Chicken
Here are some tips to help you make the Tandoori Chicken
- Use chicken with skin: Chicken with skin helps to keep the meat moist and juicy while cooking. It also gives a crispy texture to the chicken when grilled.
- Use fresh spices: Using fresh spices will enhance the flavour of the Tandoori Chicken. Make sure to use spices that are not expired and have a strong aroma.
- Use a tandoor oven: A tandoor oven is the traditional way of cooking Tandoori Chicken, which gives it a unique smoky flavour. However, if you don’t have a tandoor oven, you can use a grill or oven instead.
- Use yogurt: Yogurt helps to tenderize the chicken and also gives a creamy texture to the marinade. Make sure to use plain yogurt without any added sugar or flavour.
6. Serving Suggestions
Tandoori Chicken can be served as a main course with some naan bread, rice, or salad. You can also serve it as an appetizer with some mint chutney or tamarind chutney. It is a perfect dish for parties or gatherings and is sure to impress your guests.
7. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use boneless chicken to make Tandoori Chicken? Ans: Yes, you can use boneless chicken to make Tandoori Chicken. However, make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Can I make Tandoori Chicken in a pan? Ans: Yes, you can make Tandoori Chicken in a pan. However, the taste and texture may differ from the traditional method of grilling in a tandoor oven.
- How long can I marinate the chicken? Ans: You can marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours or overnight for the best results.
- Can I use store-bought Tandoori Masala powder? Ans: Yes, you can use store-bought Tandoori Masala powder if you don’t have individual spices. However, using fresh spices will give better flavour and taste.
- Is Tandoori Chicken healthy? Ans: Tandoori Chicken is a healthy dish as it is low in fat and high in protein. However, the calorie count may vary depending on the cooking method and serving size.
Tandoori Chicken is a delicious and flavourful dish that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. With the right ingredients and proper marination, you can make restaurant-quality Tandoori Chicken at home. So, try this recipe and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.